Skip to main content

Colour INKspiration#10 Indigo lmpressions

Welcome back to the next blog hop for colour INKspiration.

I just love the colours this week - and my gorgeous daughter is a redhead so the inspiration picture really spoke to me. I rarely use Cajun Craze ( have you read that in 95% of the posts this week?) but it is quite a beautiful colour when you give it some love! AND how well does it go with these colours.  Bronwyn has done a brilliant job of challenging us all this week. I hope you get a chance to get inky and play with them too.
Do you ever look at a challenge and wonder where to start?

This often happens to me so I regularly turn to a trusted sauce of Inspiration - The Annual Catalogue. I figure the concept artists and designers there have already done a lot of hard work in experimenting with projects to come up with the right balance of scale, embellishments and layout so when I have limited time I can take short cuts by copying their ideas.
When I first was introduced to Stampin' Up! the catalogue was actually called an Ideas Book.

I can't show you pictures of the inside of the new catalogue yet (not until June1) but I was impressed by a project on page 150 and immediately new I would be CASEing it at some point.  It uses the emboss resist technique and some pastel colours but I thought the design could take the strength of this colour combination.


  there are a few differences - some of them subtle - which I was experimenting with
  • one uses clear embossing powder for one layer of the leaves, the other uses white powder
  • one uses Delightful Dijon for the mat, the other uses Cajun Craze
  • one uses Delightful Dijon for the base, the other uses Island Indigo (seriously a gorgeous colour!)
  • The text on one is tone on tone, on the other it's contrasting
I'm always fascinated by how changing a few elements while keeping the others the same can completely transform a card. Changing the backdrop for the same feature panel changes the look quite dramatically. Which do you like better?



I did use up a few old embellishments on these- the Dijon resin flower and the Regals Button (obviously justifies my policy of hoarding until "one day when you need it).
I will really miss that Dijon mini striped ribbon.

I have split the words on the sentiment so that only one word is on the front,
 and of course the inside is decorated.
HANDY TIP:   Did you know you can recolour your DSP if White is not the accent you need? This shows the difference when I have simply sponged some Dijon over the white text to completely alter the look. Crumb Cake also works really well for this and I do it quite often.


If you too would like to use the Catalogue for inspiration - 
or follow a group of stampers who do that every week- 

 We focus on a different section of the Catalogue each week
 and just like this fabulous CI format you are very welcome to participate each week on Facebook.

(You'll already know a lot of the CTC team because 
they are designers here on the Colour INKspiration team too)

Next this week is Kim. I'm so excited to see what everyone creates with this striking combination.


Don't forget to Click on the banner below to go to the Colour INKspiration  Facebook page where you can add a picture of your creation using these colours.


Thanks for looking today and remember

"don't just post online,
post something pretty!"

Liz

Comments

  1. Awesome card fold and thanks for the tip with colouring the white accents x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cards Elizabeth! Love the project you have cased too! How clever with the DSP - I have never thought of that! Thank you for the tip :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! Amazing cards Liz. Love the 'glow' of the trees, such an awesome effect! Great design tips too. Kelly x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you coloured your dsp it makes it more versatile. I also love your fancy fold on your card too x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both are great cards Elizabeth but if you are going to make me pick I think I lean towards the swing. Thanks so much for the tip with DSP and changing the colour to suit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love love love it. And my favourite is the island indigo base card! Love your fancy fold too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both gorgeous cards, but I've finally decided I prefer the one with the swing. That might be because I gravitate to blues though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Elizabeth, your card is amazing! Love Ve this. I never thing to colour DSP... Must try that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb Liz. Thanks for including so many tips. You always have something to teach me! Plus - I have thought of myself as a Cajun Craze head but will now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both of these are lovely Liz! I had to go peek at my catty to see which one you referenced..:0) Fab tip on the dsp, cant say l have ever thought to do that. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the intensity of colour Liz, the dark halo around your tree really makes it pop! I think I'd go with the Indigo card base as my favourite.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it,
In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Liz

Popular posts from this blog

Rolled paper roses Frames

Two new Frames for the Handmade Expo Markets this weekend. These are hand rolled vanilla paper roses, with newsprint DSP in the red version. Sentiment is from Painted Petals, making the paper roses is made easier using the Spiral Flower Die thanks for looking. Of course these can be mDe to order, liz

Envelope Dies perfect for an Acetate Tent card and some new DSP

After creating yesterday's cards I was on a roll and created this one using the beautiful Gilded Autumn DSP and the Fancy Phrases stamp set.  I really love the sentiments in this set.  It is such a simple design and easy to create. You can find all the directions on yesterday's post for Just Add Ink (JAI#518)  I watercoloured the white leaf after I had adhered the gold veins just to soften it, and I added a strip of mint DSP to the front of one of the tent stands as the white was a bit stark. That's the cool thing about this design, you can change it up plenty of ways. I'm sure we can all send these type of cards at the moment. I hope you are safe and well, and staying connected, wherever you are. I hope you have a creative week and remember,  "don't just post online,  post something pretty!" cheers, Liz Product List Ornamental Envelopes Bundle [ 155168 ] $83.50 Envelopes  Dies [ 153531 ] $63.00 Shimmery White A4 Car

#Onstage Sydney 2022 Fancy Flora Suite , Display Stamping # 1 beginner, casual, avid samples

I'm so honoured to have been asked to present the premier suite "Fancy Flora" from the new Mini Catalogue - what a treat. ( Available January 5 - May 12023 ). This is one of a series of posts showing some of the projects I created using this suite. It's a long one so grab a cuppa and enjoy my tips and tricks and first projects. Relieved the presentation is over and with my samples on the board! Firstly I had the pleasure of showing the suite- 2 stampsets, 2 sets of dies, some 6x6 DSP, Shimmer Card, Ribbon and Gems. With every new set I allow myself plenty of time to just play with it and explore the possibilities in colour and layout. In doing this I create a series of Mood boards that make it much faster when I come to use the product to quickly identify how many dies in each set, how many stamps and which ones match the dies, and which ribbons and bling I have in my stash- or in the current catalogues that match the colours of the new suite. That way I don't for