Skip to main content

Sponged Mask Embossing Paste Technique


I discovered this technique quite by accident and I have used it exclusively since for colouring the embossing paste I use. There is no waste and no mess, and I don't have lots of little pots of coloured paste which might dry out and be useless.
it's a simple technique - those are often the best.

  1. use any ask and a sponge and apply one colour of ink over the mask- this can be on your project or on a scrap piece of paper
  2. position the section of mask with the ink on it in the position you wish to have the coloured paste on your project
  3. take a small amount of paste with a clean palette knife and spread it over the ink coloured mask
  4. the paste will become coloured as you spread it - you can move the colour around, and sometimes your finished area will be variegated colours
and that's it!

Here's a few samples of cards using that technique - I applied the sponging on a scrap piece of paper



For this Crushed Curry card the mask had two colours sponged onto the mask.- Dapper Denim and Crushed Curry. How cute are the little motifs from In the city (Hostess Set)

This sample shows the ombre effect you can achieve with varying amounts of ink applied to the mask- it is a kind of random effect and different every time- a bit like the magic of watercolouring.


 And on this sample I sponged directly onto the card. moved the mask slightly and applied the paste directly.

I'm also entering this card in the Just Add Ink Challenge #365 for this sketch.
And the last sample used a lighter colour ink on the mask  (Pool Party) than the background ink wash colour (Bermuda Bay) to create a very subtle effect.

I hope you found this useful and that you'll give it a try. 
The Embossing Paste is just so much fun to use.
 Of course for a rich deep colour I would still mix with 1 or 2 drops of ink.
Happy Stamping and remember




"don't just post online
post something pretty!"

Liz

Comments

  1. Well that's A pretty impressive lineup Liz. You are having loads of fun with the paste, they are awesome. Love the effect of the double masking on your JAI entry...very cool! Thanks for sharing at Just Add Ink. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool - great selection of techniques with the paste. I really love the way the papers look too. Chantell Just Add Ink

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very impressive assortment of designs. You make it look easy - and beautiful.
    Any chance you could share the name of the stamp set the Happy Birthday in the Pool Party and Bermuda Bay card? I really like the font and size, and have looked through the catalog a few times looking for it, with no success.
    Thank you for sharing your discovery and your talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Susan, thanks for your lovely comments. it is a fun way to play!! The sentiment is from the 2017 Sale a Bration Designer Tee set - I also love the "when in doubt STAMP" sentiment from this set.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it,
In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Liz

Popular posts from this blog

Rolled paper roses Frames

Two new Frames for the Handmade Expo Markets this weekend. These are hand rolled vanilla paper roses, with newsprint DSP in the red version. Sentiment is from Painted Petals, making the paper roses is made easier using the Spiral Flower Die thanks for looking. Of course these can be mDe to order, liz

Envelope Dies perfect for an Acetate Tent card and some new DSP

After creating yesterday's cards I was on a roll and created this one using the beautiful Gilded Autumn DSP and the Fancy Phrases stamp set.  I really love the sentiments in this set.  It is such a simple design and easy to create. You can find all the directions on yesterday's post for Just Add Ink (JAI#518)  I watercoloured the white leaf after I had adhered the gold veins just to soften it, and I added a strip of mint DSP to the front of one of the tent stands as the white was a bit stark. That's the cool thing about this design, you can change it up plenty of ways. I'm sure we can all send these type of cards at the moment. I hope you are safe and well, and staying connected, wherever you are. I hope you have a creative week and remember,  "don't just post online,  post something pretty!" cheers, Liz Product List Ornamental Envelopes Bundle [ 155168 ] $83.50 Envelopes  Dies [ 153531 ] $63.00 Shimmery White A4 Car

#Onstage Sydney 2022 Fancy Flora Suite , Display Stamping # 1 beginner, casual, avid samples

I'm so honoured to have been asked to present the premier suite "Fancy Flora" from the new Mini Catalogue - what a treat. ( Available January 5 - May 12023 ). This is one of a series of posts showing some of the projects I created using this suite. It's a long one so grab a cuppa and enjoy my tips and tricks and first projects. Relieved the presentation is over and with my samples on the board! Firstly I had the pleasure of showing the suite- 2 stampsets, 2 sets of dies, some 6x6 DSP, Shimmer Card, Ribbon and Gems. With every new set I allow myself plenty of time to just play with it and explore the possibilities in colour and layout. In doing this I create a series of Mood boards that make it much faster when I come to use the product to quickly identify how many dies in each set, how many stamps and which ones match the dies, and which ribbons and bling I have in my stash- or in the current catalogues that match the colours of the new suite. That way I don't for